Picture Me Portrait Studio - Picture Me Portrait Studio

Aug 13, 2008
review #131352

I have worked for this company for 5 years as an hourly studio manager. Let me enlighten you as to how this company works.

They advertise a $4.99 package for 30 portraits of one pose. Then we're suppose to sell you at least $80 more, or we're written up & fired for low numbers. It doesn't matter how loyal we are to the company, or how good we are. Money talks.

We're harassed via email, and voice mail on a daily basis. Our jobs are constantly threatened because YOU, the customer, can't afford to purchase more. When an employee argues that the economy is bad right now, people can't afford luxury items, we're told this is just an EXCUSE. Do whatever it takes to sell more, or lose your job.

I've spent thousands of dollars on props for my studio, to give the customer what they want. I've gone out of my way to keep things new and fresh, and quite frankly my customers are spoiled.

Corporate doesn't provide ANYTHING other then equipment, cheesy numbers, and a god-awful bear.

I spend a small fortune on lollypops for "My kids" as well as balloons for those who can't have them. I do this because I love my job, and I love what I do. As a result I have a solid clientele base in 3 states. I have people who travel up to 3 hrs or more just so that *I *can photograph their children. What an amazing compliment!!

I will miss you all.

You see, I won't pressure sell. I don't like it when it's done to me, so why would I do that to my customer? In fact I'll go out of my way to show them how to get what they want at a better value. It's why they always come back.

I've trained some of the best photographers in this region, without being paid to do so. I'm the one my Market Manager, and Market Director ask to cover their vacations. I've been offered both jobs at the laughable wage of $28, 000 -$35, 000 a year for either job is NOT incentive for advancement. Since turning down said positions, I've refused to do either training, or cover for them due to no raise in years. I've gone above and beyond, and have had no raise due to "Low Numbers" and yet I'm offered a promotion?

I've won their portrait competitions; I've worked when my doctor wanted me hospitalized, under the threat of losing my job if my studio is "Dark." (Closed) I've been vomiting in the studio and told point blank "You can't leave."

I've also been written up for insubordination when I walked out of the studio the day my 7 yr old daughter broke her arm at school, and my boss said I should be thankful I wasn't fired for leaving.

This is how this company treats US.

Recently we were all told we had to be on call 24/7. We have to work on our days off, even if it is "Just a phone call" - mind you I am an HOURLY manager. I do not get paid to do these things, so I refused.

I recently found my job posted as available online and they (my boss') won't respond to me. So I don't know if I'm fired, or what's going on. Very professional behavior, don't you think??

I emptied my studio yesterday, and it was a sad moment to realize all I've done, all I've accomplished, and what I've lost because THE CUSTOMER can't afford to buy what I shoot.

We are harassed, humiliated, and bullied out of our jobs, and replaced by teenagers who will work for peanuts.

So for those of you complaining about horrible studio experiences, and how the photographer didn’t know what they were doing, etc. This is why none of the good ones ever stay.

8b6e4ce
Had an experience with Picture Me Portrait Studio?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
JAVA

Feb 21 Stockton, California

I will leave one last remark.
Everyone one this site that has a complaint.
FILE ONE ON THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU.
THOSE OF YOU WHO HAD PICS TAKEN AND NEVER GOTTEN.
WHEN I SEE OVER 500 COMPLAINTS, HOW DO YOU THINK CORPORATE WILL HANDLE 500 COMPLAINTS COMING IN THROUGH THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU?
THEN, ON THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU, THEY WILL GET AN F RANKING, AND NO COMPANY WANTS THAT. I MYSELF ALWAYS CHECK A BUSINESS BEFORE I USE ON THE BBB. IT WILL KEEP THE COMPANY VERY BUSY AND THE BBB, WILL HELP OTHER CUSTOMERS AWAY FROM THIS PLACE. JUST MY THOUGHT AS I HAVE NO LOCATION IN CALIFORNIA SO I CAN'T HELP AS I WANTED TO... I SAY, BOMBARD THE COMPANY BY COMPLAINTS WITH THE BBB AND CONSUMER AFFAIRS, THEY CAN AND WILL ONLY BE ABLE TO IGNORE THE COMPLAINTS FOR A PERIOD OF TIME AND WHEN THEY GET AN F RANKING WHAT CUSTOMER WILL EVER USE THEM AGAIN?

Feb 21

Well, it appears that there are no locations in California, they were located in walmart stores owned by walmart.
So in California, I can't find one, my niece may have mentioned a studio that had a similar name?
So, someone in California took it to the labor board.
Each time I walked into a walmart or a target the lights were out.
If I am incorrect, please correct me.... give me a location, I WILL go in if not as an employee, a secret shopper... which I am and can.
I will help if you allow me to but again, unable to find a local... Little help please.

Feb 21

Oh, one more thing, your monetary loss is more than what you posted, if you heard what I stated.
Your monetary loss is you lively hood.
I hope you kept proof. Your in a different state, but I can't imagine that the labor laws are that drastically different where you are compared to California...
Good luck on your newest venture.

Feb 21

There are so many complaints against this company. What you describe is not legal, in the state of California. An hourly employee can't be on call. An hourly employee (unless your deemed to be an independent contractor, and even then you as that term don't have to do anything they ask).
Why have the employee's not gone to the labor board? This is harassment it's not legal, they can label you as a manager all they want but if you are an hourly employee your title does not mean you do overtime for nothing.
So many employees, complain. But complaining on these boards don't do you much good or the people stepping in your shoes, when they hire another.
If I were you, I would take that posting of your job, I would take all the emails I assume you were intelligent enough to get everything in writing? Never call, a boss when things like this go down. Always IN WRITING, that's proof, your job being posted while your still an employee, that's proof, the things that you described of being threatened regarding your child is harassment.
The labor board file a complaint. (you should not have left, you should have waited for them to terminate you then you could have filed unlawful termination and taken them to court).
I have posted this information before. Why no one is HEARING me? Well that's up to each worker. If you want things to change for yourself and for the teenagers who are hired for peanuts and probably intimidated by bosses at a young age. You could have helped
... Show more

misty dawn

Feb 20 Durand, Wisconsin

Does anyone know if their copyrights are still valid? I have photos I had done there that I would love to get copies of but don't want to break any laws. :?

Feb 21

FYI. When you have a professional photo taken, there is always a copyright.
If not anyone can scan and use Photoshop or whatever program you choose to make more copies, larger copies, picture packages of your own and make them look just as good, if not better in some cases if you know how to use these programs.
You do so at your own risk, because I am sure the copyright police will track your scanned pic.... :grin :)
Just a little FYI... ,)

Feb 15

Was looking up Picture me to file a complaint & came across this posting. After reading this I really hate the compaby even more & it's so sad to know someone has to work under these expectations!! I would never recommend anyone going there.

Dec 20, 2013

I worked the same position you did. I know what you are talking about here

Missy

Nov 09, 2013

What a wonderful bit of information. I am so sorry you were treated this way. I have actually noticed alot of companies acting this very same way. Kicking out the people all in all who care and hiring people who will work for cheaper and as we don't care. Good luck to you. You have a beautiful heart and the world needs people like you. God bless you.

Jillg

Sep 10, 2013 Parma, Ohio

they have still props & photos at the walmart in parma
but its closed , I'd love to get the left over props & things
I'm a local photographer , would like to take some stuff off there hands. :zzz :) jillg337@yahoo.com

Alleycat

Aug 07, 2013 Poughkeepsie, New York

It's messed up they closed the portrait studio in my area now there's nowhere to take our children for pictures

Jul 19, 2013

Have any of the workers that have posted on this topic ever bothered to call the labor board? That's the first step for your case. It in NOT LEGAL to have an hourly paid person to work or be on call without compensation. They can call you a manager or old McDonald. Bottom line your HOURLY and that means YOU GET PAID, TO BE ON CALL, OVER TIME ETC.

TO THE person who cleared their studio because found that he she did not know if they had a job.... WHY! If all you stated we're fact you have more than a 5.00 loss. You have an actual Law Suite. Pick up the phone and call the labor board, that's step one, you have to before all else. 5.00? How about 300,00.00?

You took this for five years? We are in the United States their are laws to protect us and you should have called the labor board 4years ago.

Seriously! Did common sense leave the building? Or does this studio only hire people they KNOW they can bully. It's not allowed in schools and it HAS NOT BEEN ALLOWED in the work place in a long time. You said you are an hourly employee. Don't post and say independent contractor, you CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS. And really 24 hours a day on call? For what? Were you waiting the arrival of the royal baby and you were chosen to take the photo? Other than that why on earth would they have you on call?

:x

01PissedGrandmother

Jul 17, 2013 Lumberton, North Carolina

:( I spent over $300 dollars on my granddaughters first pictures. I am very pissed that this company filed bankrupt and didn't have the respect to contact the people that had already paid for picture packages. I feel like this is a *** way for you to treat people that helped build your company and helped paid your bills. And now it has been 4 months and I still have not gotten all of my pictures.

Thank you One Very PISSED OFF GRANDMOTHER

Jul 19, 2013

IF THIS COMPANY WENT BANKRUPT YOU ARE A CREDITOR STAND IN LINE WHEN THEY GO TO COURT FILE NOW TO COLLECT THE DEBT

WITH SO MANY PEOPLE NOT GETTING PRODUCT - if u used credit card start arbitration before company disappears.

YOUR ALL AOWED JUST AS THE RENTER, THE UTILITIES AND PROBABLY THE POOR WORKERS. THEY MAY HAVE OR WILK NOT GET THAT LAST CHECK THEY ARE IN LINE TOO. :sigh

BUT NOW THE ARE IN LINE FOR UNEMPLOYMENT. I WISH ALL THE WORKERS LUCK... :upset

Mary J

Jul 16, 2013 Evansville, Indiana

Wow this company is bs. I have been waiting on my pics for 4 months now and have already paid in full for the pics. Every time I call no one answers and everytime I go in the store is closed! I just want my money back.

Rainbowgramma

Apr 27, 2013 Horseheads, New York

I am thoroughly disgusted with the PictureMe studio. Not only did they take my money 2 days before closing the store without telling me, the did not give me a proper reciept. I have a paper stating the package I ordered and a piece of reciept tape printed with a survey attached to it but NO amount paid anywhere on it. Walmart has been helpful with telling us any information they know. Since Walmart does not run the studio, I don't understand why people are upset with them over this. Walmart rents the space to businesses like the photo studio, nail and hair salons and the bank. I am attempting to contact the PictureMe corporation in every way possible. I will also be talking to my lawyer Tuesday to find out what he thinks of the whole situation. I think the employees should have told consumers they were going to close. Unlike what they would like you to believe, they did have knowledge of their studios closing. My daughter had a job interview about a month before they closed. She was hired but then the manager called to inform her she was not going to be needed because the store would be closing soon. Had I known this prior to the photo session with my 3 grandchildren, I would have gone to Olin Mills or taken the photos myself! Hopefully my photos, or at least a disc, will come in but I will not be holding my breath for them or a refund :(

Teresa2013

Apr 25, 2013 New York City, New York

:( TICKED OFF ROYALLY. I PAID $2850.00 FOR A EASTER PACKAGE AND NEVER RECEIVED MY FRAMED PHOTOS. Does anyone know how to get ahold of the company so I can get my framed pictures? Maysville,KY is where they were taken, and I want them now. I should have gotten them the second week in April. I've been trying to find a way to get ahold of someone, and came across this.

Mist

Apr 11, 2013

I have also emailed requesting my sessions on cd for not getting the 1 year fulfilled with the smiles card I purchased 2-1-13. I'm so saddened that they are closing, my studio was amazing here in Salem, Oregon. If you contact Walmart customer service they are going to be receiving and distributing the ordered images. I'm hoping everyone contacts them to get a CD with copyrights of there images, I feel that is the least picture me could do! There email is customercare@MyOnlinePortraits.com, I email and have gotten no reply and the customer care number is 1-888-742-6386, the phone number doesn't do any good though I have put it on speaker and waited 1.5 hrs trying to get through and no one ever answered, good hold music lol. I agree that they are going to have a class action lawsuit if they don't do something to make it up to us!! :sigh :cry :( :sigh

1-20 of 146 comments

×
You were reading a complaint about Picture Me Portrait Studio.
Filing a new complaint about
×